Thursday 17 May 2012

Discipline

Its so hard to be disciplined during the summer. We manage to convince ourselves that we have so much to do when in reality we have very little compared to during the semester. I was feeling so apathetic today, spiritually not right, but instead of doing anything I continued to mope around and just pretend like nothing was wrong, give myself time to just go through the motions. This was so incredibly stupid of me. How should I ever expect to be spiritually thriving if I am doing nothing to chase after God. You see we cant just expect to be on a "spiritual high" all the time by doing nothing. We have to be boldly and consistently chasing after God, constantly hungry for His Word and for time with Him. We are told constantly through scripture that should we draw close to God, He will draw close to us. If we seek Him, we will find Him. Our God has made Himself so readily available to us, that we only need ask Him to draw close and He will.

But this requires effort on our part. We get so caught up in life, that we forget the reason for it. We think we have no time, and forget about the creator of it. We convince ourselves that there are countless things we should be doing, but yet we forget about the person who made the ultimate sacrifice for us, and apparently we have "better things to do". You see, we need to jump, chase and run after God with everything in us. When I suddenly realized how stupid I was being, I muted the tv, set my phone to silent, and picked up a book my friend had recommended I read. The book is all about living for God without having your emotions rule your life, about committing to always doing the right thing regardless of how it feels. We so often let our emotions get the better of us consume us, we convince ourselves in and out of things all the time.

I will never waste my time when I invest it into my relationship with God. My emotions will come and go, people in my life will come and go but you see my God has promised me that He will never leave me nor will He forsake me. This is the relationship which I want to pour myself into daily. I want to fall in love with God every single day that I'm alive. But like every relationship, both parties have to work, God doesn't want a one-sided relationship with me. He wants me to initiate time with Him, and every time I choose to spend time with Him, He welcomes me in with open arms and His presence is so there. Taking that time out today was brilliant, I felt comfort, I felt that I was being refueled. And I was being hungry for more. You see, my life is my ministry. I want people to see God in me. For some people you may be the only Christ they see and the only Bible they read. And how do you want to represent those? Everything in our lives has the potential to fail us; family, friends, finance, education, health, the list goes on. But God? He will remain and no matter where we find ourselves He is only but a breath away, a professor once told me here that the distance between you and the Almighty God is zero, He is everywhere at every time. The distance between you and God right now is zero, but will you care to acknowledge that?

No comments:

Post a Comment