Friday 23 November 2012

Thanksgiving.

 So today was the beautiful day of Thanksgiving where we have the excuse to eat as much as physically necessary, watch football, and kill each other over crazy sales prices that evening. But this year I was challenged to write or think about what I was thankful for. I was challenged by John and Brenda Sawyer who I am thankful for in themselves because they have really poured into me this year, teaching me through their own personal example of how to seriously seek after God, the importance of His word and what a Godly marriage looks like. To be honest this semester has been a rough one, just in work load increasing and it also being the first time I was ever place the word "stressed" and my own name in the same sentence. But when I began to think about everything I was thankful for I was overwhelmed. I have been so incredibly blessed and instead of focusing upon that I have focused too much on what I should have at this point or things I need to achieve, rather than just being content in being the woman I was made to be. But here are some things I came up with:

1. I am thankful to be part of an incredible family.

         I come from a huge extended family, we are insane, crazy and just totally out there. We have every character from my Granny who makes thee most incredible sausage rolls and has the most incredible spirit which has impacted me beyond belief, my Granda the token quiet man but you know genuinely cares, my Papa the storyteller and where I get my traveling bug from and my Nana the one who after all these years driving is still mastering how to parallel park but her wicked sense of humor is where I have got a lot of mine from. We have my Aunt Nina in London whose determination and drive is so incredibly admirable, my Aunt Jacqueline's serving heart who consistently serves as a nurse to people who are often so unthankful in a huge hospital and my Aunt Paula who is one of the most welcoming people I know.
        Then we have the Uncles...and man are they a mad bunch. My Uncle Ged, the joker at every family occasion whose jokes originate from christmas crackers and Gavin and Stacey episodes. My Uncle Marty, also my Godfather, who even though he calls me "Doris"...still not sure why, I know I could turn to him for absolutely anything. My Uncle Po the technology mastermind who I have had some of my most interesting conversations with and who always brings something for me to the house when I'm home. And finally my Uncle Tot, the young one, who only recently told me he was proud of me and it means more to me than anything in the world. My five younger cousins mean the absolute world to me and I would do anything for those 5 boys.
       I would do anything for these people and although we are dysfunctional and imperfect, I love them more than anything in the world and will always stand by them. They have all molded me into the woman I am today and I know they will always continue to remain at my side.
...but now the immediate family...
         From the outside looking in we look pretty broken sometimes. But let me tell you about these incredible two men in my life. My Father, Paul Smyth, is my No. 1 fan. He will deny this but if there has ever been someone who has always believed in me, and in so many cases vastly more than I ever believed in myself, it has been him. One day this man's 15 year old daughter came in and said she wanted to go see a church in America, instead of insulting the sheer stupidity of such a statement, he bought her a plane ticket. I am a daddy's girl through and through and I can tell that this man has taught and shown me things which I will take to the grave with me. He has set an incredible example for me and has taught me that absolutely anything is possible just as long as you're willing to put the work in; Nothing good comes easy. I am thankful for a Mum who in the end just wanted to make her kids proud, and who I seem to become more like each day. A Mum who I know truly cared in the end, and I just hope I make her proud. She taught me how quick life can go but how beauty is in the small and simple things.

         My younger brother, George Smyth, is my ultimate partner in crime. George will turn 16 this December and I can honestly tell you that I look to this boy for advice sometimes. My Dad has no idea what is around the corner when we are both together, we have had the craziest adventures together and I cannot think of one time we have been together where we have not been laughing like crazy fools for the majority of the time. Sadly my Mum passed away when George was extremely young, so I mother George quite a bit, I can tell you that I am so proud of my brother and the man he is becoming. He sets a great example for younger boys who I know look up to him. 
         These two men are my absolute rocks. I know that whatever may happen in this life I will always have these two. And I know that any man that would ever try to pursue me would have to be a good one to get through these two. I am so incredibly thankful for my little family and for the huge support they give me, thy are my motivation, to make them proud. 

2. I am thankful to be part of an incredible school.
          Cincinnati Christian has been an incredible place where I have learned things and met people who have totally changed my life. This is not only my school but my home and within it lives my entire awesome and dysfunctional family which I found here. The family I have found there is incredible and the bond I have with people 4000 miles from my home amazes me everyday, I most definitely count so many of these people as family and the very thought of graduating in May 2015 and that being the last time I see them kills me.
          I am being poured into by my incredible mentor Mandy Smith who teaches me what it means to be a woman truly chasing after God. She is teaching me things which will stand by me throughout my entire career. I am being poured into by my professors who care so much more than your average university scholar. And every day I learn and am encouraged by the people around me, brothers and sisters in Christ.    

3. I am thankful for the rocks.
          There are people in my life who have always stood by me and been there right from the get go. My best friend formerly Caroline Brown and now Mrs. Rutledge led me to Christ, when everyone else didn't know what to do with me, she never gave up on me. Her persistence is what led me to Christ and I am eternally grateful for her and her caring heart which has grown even more since then. She taught me what true compassion looked like and how remain strong in faith.

          My girl Corinne Hodnett. The rock who can read me like no other person on this earth, she is one of the few who can see right through when I am trying to put up a front and is the first to call me  out. She has taught me how to preserver through anything, she is so much stronger than she gives herself credit and I could not be more excited that she moved to the States in August and now lives only an hour and a half away. Right now she is suggesting we get each other Christmas pajamas and give them to each other Christmas Eve...I could not be more excited and she knows me enough to know that.

          Ashley Tomlinson, I met this girl when I was seventeen when we realized that our Mothers died the same day and died of similar problems. Every year on that day we get together and just get away form everything. She is the big sister I never had. When she dropped me off for a leadership conference once she looked me right in the eye and said "Vikki...I'm proud of you", I sat in shock for ages, those few words just meant the world, the assurance in them was so overwhelming for me. Ashley has set a great example for me, her loving and encouraging nature is something which everyone notices from only being around her a short while. p.s this is the only picture of the both of us...it makes me love her even more.

         Bekah Balch, my kindred spirit and partner in crime, a total gem and bro who has my back. She takes a genuine concern and her servant and giving nature is to be admired. She has come through so much and has not let it hold her back. She continues to teach me so much in the everyday small things. This girl is going to do crazy things for the Lord and I am so excited to see it, she underestimates herself way too much for she is such a strong woman of Christ and has a genuine care for people.
These are only a few of my rocks. I have incredible friends which I truly believe God has put in my life and who I can completely rely on. I learn so much from these people in my life, those both in the states and back in beautiful northern ireland.
My lovely girls at Crosspoint, Dundrum
Fused teams 2011 and 2012

4. I am thankful for a love.
            I am thankful for a love from a heavenly Father that is unchanging. This love is not conditional, its unconditional and no matter what I do He wont love me any less. I will never truly understand this love and I have no chance of finding a love even close to it in this lifetime. He also has this crazy awesome plan for me that is way better than the one I have for myself, and I cannot wait to see it unfold because He has already amazed me so far.

These are a few of the things I am thankful for. I am so thankful I was challenged to do this, to think about it, because it just overwhelmed with me how blessed I truly am. But it pains me for the people who don;t have this or know this, and I feel it part of my call for people of whom I cross paths with to experience these things if only in the short time I meet them.    

 
         


No comments:

Post a Comment