Wednesday 26 December 2012

11. Read 20 books which have been strongly recommended by friends: Redeeming Love

My friend Elyse recommended that I read Redeeming Love, a novel by Francine Rivers. This novel is based upon the book of Hosea and attempts to portray the redeeming love which God shows towards all of mankind. Rivers does this through the story of Sarah (or Angel as she is also known), a girl who at the age of 8 is sold into prostitution and remains there till the age of 18 or 19. Then she is rescued by the godly Michael Hosea who sweeps her off and marries her even though she despises him at this point. Throughout the book we see Sarah's walls break down and her heart soften, by the end of the book she is not the cold-hearted girl who hates the world and trusts no one in it. By the end she has come to know God, her heart softens and is utterly transformed and she falls completely in love with her husband.

Originally I was skeptical about reading this novel, it was a fiction novel which seemed to be based on a soppy love story. But the story is raw and real, and shows so accurately a lot of how the female mind is put together. You can totally relate, not to Angels position (as a prostitute), but often to Angel's heart. She has put up so many barriers but shows that there is great strength to be found in vulnerability. She shows the beauty that is found in a loving heart and the great beauty which is discovered in simplicity. This is an incredible book for girls and young women everywhere who can see God's love through example and see how it is intended to be. It may even be a good read for guys too, Michael Hosea appears as a really godly guy. I am not by any means saying "every man should be Michael Hosea. He is apparently gorgeous, and loves God, read this men and follow his example", I am not saying this at all. But I am saying I think this book is a good insight for men and women and there are things within it that could really teach someone a lesson or give someone something to think about, from at least one part of the book. Not only will you learn about your own gender but will get a little insight into the other.

This was such a great read and I would definitely recommend this book. Don't just read a section of it because you will not get the full effect of what the book intends to teach. how the reader contrasts the character of Angel at the start and how she develops into Sarah at the end is utterly breathtaking. She sets a great example of how transforming the love of God is and how it can work, it teaches Christians that they should be showing this transforming love to others and although Angel does not get up at the end of the book and preach a sermon, what she preaches through her actions and character through the entire book is one of the most effective ways in which to show the amazing freedom that comes through letting your guard down and letting people truly come in. I know I have certainly learned a lot from it, in terms of human character, female character, relationships, marriage, human trafficking and the terrible effects of it, psychological effects of events and God too. It has shown me that I myself have put up barriers in my life and there is a quote in this when Miriam says to Angel that we sometimes hurt ourselves more whenever we are trying to protect ourselves from being hurt than we actually do if we are hurt directly. Sometimes when we think that we are playing it safe we really aren't at all. The way to truly guard your heart is not by putting up walls but by making sure that your relationship with God is ultimately the highest relationship and the biggest priority, if you are truly in love with Him nothing can hurt you. I have taken so much from this book that I did not expect and I could not be more thankful that someone recommended me it, it has honestly changed my thinking and I will ensure that I read once every few years so that I do not forget what it has taught me. Read this, honestly, I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't worth it. Read this story of transformation and let it transform you, if only in a small way.


No comments:

Post a Comment