Sunday 27 January 2013

Where Do You Need Some Breathing Room?

So again I am on an Andy Stanley kick and have started a series of his called "Breathing Room". In this time we are consistently bombarded with people trying to get a hold of us, through phone call, messaging, email, facebook, twitter, facetime...you get it, but we are so easily accessible now. We need to have calendars, diaries and schedules in order to manage our time. We push ourselves right to the limit of what we are capable of and more. But by pushing ourselves so much, we put the quantity over the quality, so we may be at the event but is all of us really there? we may have done all the work but we missed out on spending time with the people we love and as a result are worn out because we never got time with our support system.

God knows what we need (Matthew 6:32), He knows our limits, and He knows fine rightly that we have the ability to run ourselves into the ground. If any of you know me personally you'll know that I sometimes have the tendency to do this. I push myself too far, stretch myself too thin and often forget just to take time out and be still. So through this series I am going to make some small changes:

1) Social Media: deleting the twitter and facebook app (toooo accessible), only going online after 10pm.
2) Taking a Sabbath: Saturday or Sunday, no work, and filling it with the right stuff instead
3) When I am with friends, make sure I am fully there: not taking my phone out and resisting the temptation to think about other things I should be doing instead.
4) Taking time out every night: sit down with a coffee or tea or something (like a proper old woman) and read, think, journal or listen to something positive.
5) Start and end my day with The Bible and journalling: I was once told "Victoria... no Bible no breakfast, no Bible no bed" Even though I have heard it a million times, this time I want to try and start and stick to it.
6) Deepening friendships; really digging deep, asking questions, getting beyond surface level.

We need breathing space, sometimes I trick myself into thinking its selfish to want time just to focus on yourself, but its a human need, if we really want to radiate Christ we need to spend time away to gather our own thoughts and spend time with Him. Jesus often left his disciples and followers and went off and prayed, and that was Jesus! Mr. Patient Himself. My patience doesn't even touch close to Jesus', I can't even stand in a line in the dining hall in school without get frustrated after like 2 minutes and then I go off somewhere else, when I was driving I would rather drive 20 miles non stop than 10 in traffic. So we need time to just breathe and just ... be. I'm super excited about this series and I would definitely recommend checking it out here


No comments:

Post a Comment