Tuesday 12 June 2012

Breathe Life into Stone

I realized today that I changed the name of my blog without actually explaining it. It's a Shakespeare quote which ever since I heard I totally fell in love with. The imagery of that for me is incredible and it's something which I want to apply to my life every day. The idea of bringing something to life is so incredible for me.It's something which I have always loved. Throughout high school my favorite things were English literature and Art. I could create pictures and sketches which could totally come to life. Out of a lump of clay I could create huge pieces of art full of small detail and could create meaning out of it. I honestly believe that it is from this passion of bringing things to life that God called me into ministry.

                I believe I am called to tell people about Jesus, about the hope that is found in him. I am on this earth to breathe life into people. Breathe life into the hurting hearts of so many people on this earth. I want to see people come to life, come to life in Jesus. Recently, I was dogsitting at a house and the owner told me not to worry about watering the plants on the back doorstep, they were dead, long gone. I took this as a challenge, how incredible it could be if I could bring these back to life. And it's probably something to do with my stubborn character where I like to surprise people. I watered it all week. And when the week was up and I was moving out of the house there was little or no change in the plant. It did cross my mind that I had wasted my time but I always work on a 'you never know' attitude.

                Just last Monday I was called back to dog sit and when I was fixing something up in the kitchen I looked to the plants on the back doorstep. I seen the flower, it wasn't the same flower I had left behind. It wasn't brown, with little or no petals. This one had come back to life. It was gorgeous, full of color. Sometimes when we are working in ministry we can get caught up in the fact we don't see change right there and then. So many of us will invest so much into the lives of others and feel like we see little or no change. But change happens days, months, even years after we have any involvement. Don't be discouraged if you are really investing into someones life and are seeing little or no change. All you need to do is plant that seed, of kindness, of Christ and hope that at sometime along the line it grows. We aren't in charge of that part. It requires patience. No one is a "lost cause" and no one is too far gone or out of reach of Christ, keep pouring into people, and never lose hope. You never know the effect you will have on this earth, or the ripple effect you could start.


The "Lost Cause" Flower

 Galatians 6:9: "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up"


     

No comments:

Post a Comment